Keeping women informed about breast care and the need for regular mammograms has long been a core mission for Box Butte General Hospital.
A generous anonymous donation in the spring of 2010 allowed the hospital to obtain one of the most advanced digital mammogram machines on the market for use by BBGH clients - a Selenia Digital Mammography unit made by Hologic, Inc.
Acquiring this unit has allowed BBGH to become a Pink Ribbon Facility, which stresses the fact that BBGH strives to offer the very best in technology, customer support and patient comfort by offering digital mammography.
Having a Mammogram
A mammogram usually consists of two views of each breast in which they are pressed firmly between two plates. The procedure takes only a few minutes and will be performed by a trained female technologist under the supervision of a qualified radiologist. The radiologist will then analyze the x-rays, looking for specific abnormalities or changes related to cancer. Our exams are read by board certified radiologists.
Before a Mammogram
- Please wear a two-piece outfit.
- Do not use deodorants, powders, ointments or creams in the breast or underarm area.
- The exam will take approximately thirty minutes.
- Avoid coming for your mammogram just prior to or during your menstrual period if you have breast pain during that time.
- If you have breast implants, please inform the receptionist when scheduling your exam.
BBGH's Radiology Mammography Program recently passed the Food and Drug Administration's Mammography Quality Standards Act (MQSA) inspection. MQSA is a federal law that makes sure every mammography facility in the United States meets quality standards.