A good start is to pick out an appropriate sized bicycle. A sizing chart is a simple tool that can be used. Below are two charts that can help you select the correct size bicycle. The first chart is based on height & the second one is based on leg inseam.
It is also important that your actually watch your child take a test ride on the bike before you purchase it. Be sure your child is able to ride it in a controlled, safe manner and then complete the sale.
- Wear a properly-fitted helmet. It is the best way to prevent head injuries and death.
- Ride on the sidewalk when you can. If not, ride in the same direction as traffic as far on the right-hand side as possible.
- Use hand signals and follow the rules of the road.
- Be predictable by making sure you ride in a straight line and don’t swerve between cars.
- Make yourselves visible. Wear bright colors and use lights, especially when riding at night and in the morning. Reflectors on your clothes and bike will help you be seen.
- Ride with your children. Stick together until you are comfortable that your kids are ready to ride on their own.